DOWN WITH JAZZ
As part of DUBLIN LIVE! Dublin City Council’s Live Local Performance Programme
Funded by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.
Sunday September 5th 2021 | Meeting House Sq, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
Tickets are FREE, booking essential.
First ticket release Friday 27th August - read below for details
Final ticket release Wednesday 1st September.
Subscribers to our Newsletter will receive first access to tickets on both releases
PLEASE READ Ticketing Conditions below IN FULL before booking
Down With Jazz is back and jazzing with a special edition to give a belated kick-start to the new roaring 20’s in the wake of you-know-what!
“The festival with a sense of humour” (The Irish Times) harks back to 1930s Ireland when jazz and ‘foreign’ music was seen by the Catholic Church as a filthy force of corruption. A repressive ‘anti-jazz’ campaign arose to ban jazz from the dance halls and airwaves of Ireland, and protect the ‘morality’ of the sons and daughters of Erin.
Today’s Down With Jazz festival connects 21st century Ireland’s vibrant and diverse music scene, with this notorious period in our social history, through a tongue-in-cheek presentation of some of the hottest jazz and improvised music acts around!
The popular weekend festival ran from 2012-2017 in Dublin’s Meeting House Square, and now, with thanks to Dublin City Arts Office’s Local Live Performance Scheme, it is back for a special live and proud edition for all of you hungry post-pandemic jazz fans.
Performing at this shameless Sunday of groove will be an array of the best ‘modren’ Irish jazz artists. Toot Sweet and the Shadowman bring a spirit of bayou funk led by jazz piano man Cian Boylan, invoking the spirit of The Big Easy with swampy Hammond grooves and a take-no-prisoners horn section. With an entertainer’s soul fuelled by a supernova of raw energy backed by an 8-piece supergroup of Dublin’s most in demand professional musicians, ZASKA’s famous live shows are a force to be reckoned with. Born in the deep south of the US from a family of civil rights activists, and later vocalist with Van Morrison, Dana Masters’ soul-infused music shows her power as a storyteller, with an ensemble of Ireland’s finest.
The sets and music will repeat in the different sessions so please only book ONE session.
Booking is in pods of 2, 4, or 6 only, and only full pods will be admitted. Tickets are FREE, but will be strictly limited - early booking is recommended.
TICKETING CONDITIONS (Please read before booking)
We look forward to welcoming you to Down With Jazz in Meeting House Square on Sunday 5th September!
Due to Covid-19 regulations, it is essential that you read and understand the following conditions of entry:
- Tickets available in ‘pod’ groupings only for groups of 2, 4 or 6 people. Please book only ONE ticket for the correct size of pod. (i.e. Select the Ticket labelled 'Pod of 4', and book 1, do not book 4 tickets)
- The sets and music will repeat in the different sessions so please only book ONE session.
- Entry only permitted with a full pod/ group. Please meet your group in advance and come together to Meeting House Square. You will not be permitted entry individually.
- No late entry permitted. If the pod does not arrive in full by 2:15pm, the pod ticket will be given to any other group that is waiting for entry.
- If your pod can no longer attend, please let us know so we can reallocate the ticket group.
- If you are feeling unwell or experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19 please do not attend this event.
- Viewing pods will be socially distanced by 2m from each other within the venue.
- Patrons will be required to maintain a minimum of 2m social distancing and wear a face covering when outside their ticketed pods.
- When you arrive at the venue, please follow the signs and instructions from stewards.
- Under 18s are welcome to attend the event, but MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Consumption of alcohol will not be permitted at the event or in surrounding areas. Any patron consuming alcohol will be refused entry, or may be asked to leave the area.
- This is an outdoor event, and as we know the Irish weather can be unpredictable! We recommend dressing comfortably and appropriately for all weather conditions
Thank you so much for your cooperation.
We look forward to welcoming you back to live music and are very grateful for your assistance in making this event as safe and comfortable as possible.