COVID-19 has massively affected the musical community with cancelled gigs, teaching and other work, and huge losses of income. For those who are suffering from the lack of income, some financial supports are possible.
1. COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment aims to get payments quickly to those who have lost jobs or income as a result of the pandemic at a flat rate of €203/week for six weeks. Details are available here: COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment. You can apply online above, or at mywelfare.ie if you have a Public Services Card. To apply by phone, ring 1890-800 024 or 01-2481398.
2. If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or have been told to self-isolate by your GP, you may be able to apply for Illness Benefit. Details are available here: Illness Benefit
3. Professional Artists’ Jobseekers’ Allowance is available for those who meet requirements. Requirements include that you are registered as self-employed with Revenue and are a member of the Musicians’ Union, amongst others, however adjustments are being made to make the scheme more flexible as to requirement at the moment. It is best to check in with your local Intreo office. Details are available here: Professional Artists' Jobseekers' Allowance
4. Jobseekers’ Allowance is available under conditions including means testing. Details are available here: Jobseekers’ Allowance
5. For music venues or businesses which have been affected by the crisis, a variety of government supports have been announced by the Department of Business Enterprise and Innovation, for which you may be eligible. Details of these possibilities are available here: Supports for business impacted by COVID-19.
6. Tax relief for working from home details here about how to claim tax back for additional costs such as heating, broadband etc associated with working from home,
Please contact us if you have any further information which would be valuable to add to this list for artists, or if you have any queries that we might be able to help with. You can email admin [at] improvisedmusic [dot] ie.