Jazz Connector: Home Recording 101
Continuing our Jazz Connector online meet-ups with a focus on career development, IMC would like to invite the Irish music community to come together for an interactive presentation, Q&A session and chat on Thursday June 16th from 7:00 - 8:30 PM.
The topic at hand is:
Home Recording 101 - The Basics
We’ll answer the burning question: What Do You Need to Record Music at Home?
To create a productive home studio, you will need to focus on these different components of home recording.
- Recording Software - Choosing the right music recording software lets you record audio, edit its duration, and add effects to change its sonic character. It falls into one of three categories: digital audio workstations (DAWs), digital instruments, and plugin effects. Learn the basics of using recording softwares such as Garage Band, Reaper, Logic, Pro Tools.
- Audio Interfaces - An audio interface is one of the first things you’ll need to consider. Why? Because it enables you to get stuff into your recording software – guitars, microphones, synths, vocals etc and hear (monitor) what you’ve recorded and is a convenient way of getting inputs and then listening to the result back via monitors or headphones. Having a good audio interface means top notch recording quality can be achieved on even the most modest of budgets.
- Headphones / Speakers - so many to choose from, learn about headphones/speakers, the right ones, quality brands and cost.
- Create your own compositions using MIDI - MIDI stands for “musical instrument digital interface. Using a Midi Keyboard / Controller gives you access to a world of digital/software instruments from band instruments, cinematic sounds to orchestral instruments.
- Choose the best Microphones for home recording - There are a number of different microphones available for home recording and that ‘won’t break the bank’.
- How to record vocals, guitar, and other instruments. There’s a special skill involved in recording vocals or miking up an acoustic instrument such as Guitar, Bass, Violin, Brass, or plugging in directly, in a home studio. A lot of this has to do with choosing the proper equipment, microphone placement, and use of effects.
- How to mix audio and effects - If you’re mixing in a home studio, it’s likely you’re simply clicking and dragging on digital faders in software like Pro Tools, Logic, or Garageband. Learn more about mixing audio.
- How to get your finished recording bounced to CD or Mp3 and get ready to share your recordings to the world!
We’ll be joined by Maria Butterly. A recent graduate from Pulse and Griffith College in Audio and Sound Technology, and in Music Producing for Games, Maria has expanded her compositional skills by working on commercial pieces for both Film and TV, while specialising in Games. Her wide and varied arsenal of talents also saw her recently sign with the prestigious Avant Music Port agency to represent her music. In her career to date, Maria’s original compositions have been featured on a host of top TV and radio programs, across RTE, Virgin Media One, TG4 and SKY, and including live performances and interviews on shows such as Nationwide, Ireland AM, Seoige and O’Shea, and Glor-Tire.
A renowned vocalist and multi-Instrumentalist, Maria has always been busy - the last few years being obvious exceptions - as a touring recording artist, as in demand internationally as here in Ireland. Maria has graced stages in New York, Nashville, and California - where she resided for over two decades - along the way performing at hit venues such as Nashville’s Bluebird Cafe, The House of Blues in LA, and
NYC’s world famous Mercury Lounge. In that time, she has played alongside Bob Wooten from the legendary Johnny Cash’s Band, the golden-voiced Raul Malo of The Mavericks, the late Hal Ketchum, as well as our own home-grown superstars like the Hot House Flowers, Stocktons Wing, Damien Rice, Eleanor McEvoy, Nathan Carter, and The Pogues.
Guest speakers will be expressing their own personal views and will not necessarily be speaking on behalf of their various companies/employers.
Join us at this ZOOM link on Thursday June 16th at 7:00PM
Please register your interest below to attend. You can also let us know if there are any particular topics that you would like us to cover in this or future discussions. Places are limited so be sure to let us know if you’d like to join in!