IMC25 - Celebrating 25 year of Improvised Music Company
Improvised Music Company, Ireland’s foremost producer, promoter and resource for jazz and ethnic music, celebrates 25 years with a gala concert on Saturday 26th November featuring a top-level line-up of some of hottest sounds in Irish jazz, as well as an exclusive screening of a short film about IMC and the jazz scene in Ireland from 1991 to the present day.
Jazz aficionado DJ Billy O’Hanluain will kick things off from 6pm, with a set peppered with tracks from IMC’s Record Label years, before a debut screening of a short film by Hatch 21 about IMC and the Irish jazz scene since musicians and supporters founded the organisation in 1991.
The live performance element has always been at the forefront of IMC’s output, and this celebratory night will be no exception with a full and varied programme of original jazz and groove.
One of Irelands most promising piano trios, The CEO Experiment bring elements of post-bop and contemporary jazz through original compositions and reworking of standards. Although none of this trio is Irish born, all have made Dublin their home and brought their own fresh sounds and influences.
Highlighting again the diversity of musicians in our capital, Congolese guitarist, Niwel Tsumbu weaves together an ethnically eclectic set of material informed as much by his native DRC as the jazz canon. His electrically charged live sets have been the highlight of many summer festivals including IMC’s recent ‘Hotter Than July’ world music event in Smithfield.
A special performance for IMC25 is an expanded version of Chris Guilfoyle’s vibrant quintet Umbra. Dubbed SuperUmbra, Guilfoyle has expanded the lineup to a 9-piece, which will feature some of the most interesting players on the European Jazz scene, showcase Guilfoyle’s skills as a deft arranger for large ensembles as well as strong solos.
“The guitarist’s original arrangements (are) striking, manipulating the dynamics to good effect, while the individual virtuosity is impressive. Fiery improvisation, however, never overpowered sophisticated rhythmic and melodic elements” –Ian Patterson, All About Jazz
Late into the night, Mixtapes From The Underground will take to the stage. A hip-hop infused jazz-tinged tightly wrapped funk machine led by drummer Dennis Cassidy and a cohort of some of Irelands finest. Mixtapes have raised the bar in bridging and blurring genres in Ireland, and ccollectively they showcase the best of what jazz musicians are integrating to create new progressive urban music under the increasingly “meta” umbrella of jazz.
“Cassidy and his crew know exactly when to turn the screw, moving seamlessly from spacey interludes to floor-filling grooves that leave standard hip-hop backing tracks for dead.” The Irish Times
* Short Film screening on 25 years of IMC and Irish jazz
* Solo set from dynamic tenor sax player Matthew Halpin
* Fresh and versatile piano trio Ceo Experiment
* Congolese jazz guitarist Niwel Tsumbu with trio
* Irish 12 Points artists Insufficient Funs - a scorching bass saxophone/drums duo
* Chris Guilfoyle’s quintet Umbra expands to 9-piece SuperUmbra featuring a hand-picked crop of young European players
* Hip-hop, jazz-tinged, tightly wrapped funk from Mixtapes From The Underground
* Modern and vintage jazz from DJs Billy O Hanluain and Keith Fennell
A night celebrating the past, present and future of jazz in Ireland.
More acts to be announced!
Flyin' Hi - Tommy Halferty at 70 is also part of our 25th birthday celebrations. Limited offer for tickets for both shows at just €25 - Book the Combo Deal here.
More About this Artist
- Jazzpool NRW ft. Matthew Halpin
7 Dec 2023
- Jazz at The Smithfield Sessions
13 Nov 2022
- BAN BAM Film Screenings 2022
27 Apr 2022
- POSTPONED - CRISS CROSS DUBLIN
9 Dec 2021
- Afrobeat Series: Niwel Tsumbu’s Heartbeat & Special Guests
6 Dec 2021
- Swing into Summer Sunday Jazz Gala
11 Jul 2021
- Blind Date Jazz: Matthew Jacobson + Olesya Zdorovetska
14 Feb 2021
- Piece by Piece #16: Chris Engel
29 Jan 2021
- Piece by Piece #14: Chris Guilfoyle
15 Jan 2021
- Nice to meet you Dublin! With OKO, Roamer and H-Ci & DJackulate
8 Dec 2020