POSTPONED - CRISS CROSS DUBLIN
We are sorry to announce that Criss Cross Europe is postponed due to COVID-related travel and event restrictions in Europe. Due to the collaborative European nature of the event, we will be unable to confirm the rescheduled date until Spring 2022.
We will be offering you a full refund for your ticket purchases. We thank you for your understanding.
Afrobeat Series will still go ahead at The Sugar Club and we hope to see some of you there.
CRISS CROSS EUROPE hits Dublin with an unforgettable night of improvised jazz music in the art deco surroundings of Freemasons’ Hall.
Improvised Music Company (IMC) hosts the Irish leg of pan-European collaboration Criss Cross Europe on Thursday, 9th December 2021. Led by renowned American drummer Jim Black, a band of Europe’s finest burgeoning jazz stars (including acclaimed Irish guitarist, Chris Guilfoyle), will create a unique night of improvised music. The evening juxtaposes ancient and modern, with fresh contemporary European jazz against the historic backdrop of the Freemasons’ Hall.
Date: Thursday, December 9th
Venue: Freemasons’ Hall, 16 Molesworth Street, Dublin 2
Tickets: €15 online & €18 on the door.
Improvised Music Company is delighted to be a part of Criss Cross Europe, a pan-European musical laboratory in collaboration with 6 European countries. This partnership brings together 6 leading jazz musicians from these 6 European countries to collaborate as a sort of new super-group. Following a residency period in Tallinn in autumn 2021 - collectively shaped and mentored by drummer Jim Black - these musicians are currently on a European tour with a one-night-only Dublin outing on December 9th.
This year's Criss Cross mentor - Berlin-based American drummer Jim Black - is one of the most influential voices in contemporary jazz. The Wire referred to Black as a ‘’complete musician and wonderfully fertile composer”. Black is internationally acknowledged for his virtuosic but highly personal approach to contemporary jazz. He stands at the forefront of a new generation of jazz innovators through projects like Human Feel, Tim Berne's Bloodcount, Ellery Eskelin's trio, Pachora, and Dave Douglas' Tiny Bell Trio. “Wickedly inventive… A revelation.” - CMJ
Estonian saxophone, Belgian trombone, Irish guitar, Scottish bass, Dutch vocals and Luxembourgian drums fuse with Black’s signature flair to create an unmissable night of dynamic new music.
The star young musicians chosen for this year’s cross-cultural experiment are:
Chris Guilfoyle (guitar) IRELAND
Nabou Claerhout (trombone) BRUXELLES
Sanne Rambags (vocals) THE NETHERLANDS
David Bowden (bass) SCOTLAND
Aleksander Paal (alto sax) ESTONIA
Michel Meis (drums) LUXEMBOURG
- Our audience’s safety is our primary concern and we will be fully compliant with any government guidelines around event safety.
- Seats will be distanced from each other within the hall.
- Audiences will be asked to produce proof of immunity and ID.
- We ask that you please wear a face-covering when in the Freemasons' Hall.
- If you are feeling unwell or experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19 please do not attend this event.
- 100% of audiences surveyed at a previous IMC event rated it as Very Safe.
More About this Artist
- Piece by Piece #16: Chris Engel
29 Jan 2021
- Piece by Piece #14: Chris Guilfoyle
15 Jan 2021
- BIRD: Music of Charlie Parker
29 Aug 2020
- Signal Series October: Tudo Bem! | Jennifer McMahon Quartet
3 Oct 2019
- Signal Series March - Oxygen Thief feat. Aleka | Kevin Lawlor Quintet
26 Mar 2019
- Always know – Monk at 100
7 Oct 2017
- UMBRA album launch (Dublin show)
9 Sep 2017
- SPECTRUM: Ronan Guilfoyle’s ‘Hands’
10 Mar 2017
- A Love Supreme
25 Feb 2017
- IMC25 - Celebrating 25 year of Improvised Music Company
26 Nov 2016